Although postponed, here’s a quick recap on the state of the Legislative Session:
- After convening for a few days, the 2020 Legislative Session has been recessed indefinitely.
- The return date is heavily dependent on whether Governor Edwards extends his Safer-at-Home order, which is set to expire on April 30.
- The Legislature is constitutionally bound to adjourn by 6 p.m. on June 1.
- Any thoughts related to a short, stand-still budget session in May or potential special sessions are speculation at this point.
- We think there will be at least one short or special session this summer followed by a longer special session in the fall — heavily focused on budget, budget shortfalls, potential revenue-raising measures and COVID-19 recovery.